Avoid Toxic Ingredients to Improve Your Health
The health and wellness of the American population is statistically pretty sad. The majority of these health issues can be traced to poor lifestyle habits, one of which is the consumption of mass quantities of pre-packaged and processed “foods”. The food industry will state that the ability to process a “food” and give it months and even years of “stabile shelf life” is a positive advancement. I disagree based on the plethora of chronic diseases Americans suffer from that are directly related to the foods they consume on a daily basis. Type 2 Diabetes, Obesity, Auto-Immune Disease, Gastro-Intestinal issues, Depression and ADD, heart disease and cancer are all at an all time high. These diseases are not confined to old age as they once were thought to be. Now people of all ages, even children and teens are victims.
These are diseases that have a direct relation to the foods we consume. It is understood that the busy hustle of everyday life can make it “hard to eat right”. But, the alternative of suffering through the misery and horrors of these health conditions are much worse. Having a working and well thought out plan of nutritious meals can be the greatest health care policy available. Convincing people to do that is a daunting task. Now even many “health and diet” packaged foods contain the same harmful ingredients as sodas and junk food. They are often cleverly masked as healthy for you but contain some of these toxic compounds.
First things first, avoid the really bad toxic stuff. Unfortunately, you were probably fed a steady stream of toxins from a very young age. If you were a formula fed baby, it most likely started then and continued with candy, treats, cereal and chicken nuggets. It is understood that convenience sells “food”, but there is definitely a health robbing dark side to this convenience.
Most of the “foods” on grocery store and your pantry shelves contain chemicals and additives that are known to cause documented harm either to the human body or lab animals. Research shows that we should avoid as many of these chemicals as possible. Our systems are not designed to deal with them on a constant basis.
The convenience of using these toxic ingredients will never outweigh the ridiculous costs to our healthcare system from the population suffering from the diseases created by eating processed foods and additives.
Take a picture of this list and keep in on your phone. Start reading labels and become proactive in your approach to better health. It starts with you and it starts where you purchase your food.
Ingredients to Avoid:
· Sodium nitrate: Added to processed meats to stop bacterial growth. Linked to cancer in humans.
· Sulfites: Used to keep prepared foods fresh. Can cause breathing difficulties.
· Azodicarbonamide: Used in breads, bagels and buns. Can cause asthma.
· Potassium bromate: Added to breads to increase volume. Linked to cancer in humans.
· Propyl gallate: Added to fat-containing products. Linked to cancer in humans
· BHA/BHT: A fat preservative, used in foods to extend shelf life. Linked to cancerous tumor growth.
· Propylene glycol: Better known as antifreeze. Thickens dairy products and salad dressing. Deemed ‘generally’ safe by FDA.
· Butane: Put in chicken nuggets to keep them tasting fresh. Linked to cancer.
· Monosodium glutamate (MSG): Flavor enhancer that causes headaches. Linked in animal studies to nerve damage, heart problems and seizures.
· Disodium inosinate: Found in snack foods. Contains MSG.
· Disodium guanylate: Found in snack foods. Contains MSG.
· Enriched flour: Found in snack foods. Inflammatory and irritative to the GI tract.
· Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH): Genetically-engineered version of natural growth hormone in cows. Boosts milk production in cows. Contains high levels of IGF-1, which is thought to cause various types of cancer.
· Refined vegetable oil: Includes soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, canola oil, and peanut oil. High in omega-6 fats, which are inflammatory and thought to cause heart disease and cancer.
· Sodium benzoate: Used as a preservative in salad dressing and carbonated beverages. A known carcinogen and may cause damage to cellular DNA.
· Brominated vegetable oil: Keeps flavor oils in soft drinks and sports drinks suspended. Bromate is a poison and can cause organ damage and birth defects. Not required to be listed on food labels.
· Propyl gallate: Found in meats, popcorn, soup mixes and frozen dinners. Shown to cause cancer in rats. Banned in some countries. Deemed safe by FDA.
· Olestra: Fat-like substance that is unabsorbed by the body. Used in place of natural fats in some snack foods. Can cause digestive problems, and also not healthy for the heart.
· Carrageenan: Stabilizer and thickening agent used in many prepared foods. Can cause ulcers and cancer.
· Polysorbate 60: A thickener that is used in baked goods. Can cause cancer in laboratory animals.
· Carnauba wax: Used in chewing gums and to glaze certain foods. Can cause cancer and tumors.
· Magnesium sulphate: Used in tofu. Causes cancer in laboratory animals.
· Chlorine dioxide: Used in bleaching flour. Can cause tumors and hyperactivity in children.
· Paraben: Used to stop mold and yeast forming in foods. Can disrupt hormones in the body, and could be linked to breast cancer.
· Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose: Used as a thickener in salad dressings. Could cause cancer in high quantities.
· Aluminum: A preservative in some packaged foods that can cause cancer.
· Saccharin: Carcinogen found to cause bladder cancer in rats.
· Aspartame: An excitotoxin and thought to be a carcinogen. Can cause dizziness, headaches, blurred vision and stomach problems.
· High fructose corn syrup: Sweetener made from corn starch. Made from genetically-modified corn. Causes obesity, diabetes, heart problems, arthritis and insulin resistance.
· Acesulfame potassium: Used with other artificial sweeteners in diet sodas and ice cream. Linked to lung and breast tumors in rats.
· Sucralose: Splenda. Can cause swelling of liver and kidneys and a shrinkage of the thymus gland.
· Agave nectar: Sweetener derived from a cactus. Contains high levels of fructose, which causes insulin resistance, liver disease and inflammation of body tissues.
· Bleached starch: Can be used in many dairy products. Thought to be related to asthma and skin irritations.
· Red #40: Found in many foods to alter color. All modern food dyes are derived from petroleum. A carcinogen that is linked to cancer. Can cause hyperactivity in children. Banned in some European countries.
· Blue #1: Used in bakery products, candy and soft drinks. Can damage chromosomes and lead to cancer.
· Blue #2: Used in candy and beverages. Can cause brain tumors
· Green #3: Used in candy and beverages. May cause bladder tumors.
· Yellow #5: Used in desserts, candy and baked goods. Can cause kidney tumors according to some studies.
· Yellow #6: A carcinogen used in sausage, beverages and baked goods. Can cause kidney tumors according to some studies.
· Red #2: A food coloring that may cause both asthma and cancer.
· Red #3: A carcinogen that is added to cherry pie filling, ice cream and baked goods. May cause nerve damage and thyroid cancer.
· Caramel coloring: Found in soft drinks, sauces, pastries and breads. When made with ammonia, it can cause cancer in mice. Food companies not required to disclose if this ingredient is made with ammonia.
· Brown HT: Used in many packaged foods. Can cause hyperactivity in children, asthma and cancer.
· Orange B: A food dye that is used in hot dog and sausage casings. High doses are bad for the liver and bile duct.
· Bixin: Food coloring that can cause hyperactivity in children and asthma.
· Norbixin: Food coloring that can cause hyperactivity in children and asthma.
· Annatto: Food coloring that can cause hyperactivity in children and asthma.
Arm yourself with knowledge and make sure you know what you and your family is eating. Remove these detrimental toxins from your life. Start eating fresh, real foods! They will taste great and you will feel great! If you have any questions or are concerned that you or your loved ones are suffering from issues due to poor eating habits, contact me at email@example.com. Let’s figure out the best way for you to get back to health, like a BOSS!